Basic Roast Chicken Recipe:
1 4-5 pound whole chicken
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium lemon, sliced
1 small bunch fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary or thyme.
Loaded BBQ Chicken Nachos:
4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 ripe avocados
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. minced shallot
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups Basic Roast Chicken (or other cooked chicken)
1 1/2 cups of bbq sauce (choose organic for fewer grams of sugar and unnecessary additives)
1 ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded if desired and finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Two recipes for the price of one. How lucky are you!? If you are going to make one roast chicken you might as well make two then you will have plenty of chicken for salads, stir fry, to have with vegetables, make lettuce wraps with, use for kids lunches or whatever else your heart desires. If you don’t have the time to make the chicken yourself or are looking for a shortcut, go to the grocery store and buy an already cooked roasted chicken. If it means you’ll be able to eat these nachos then take the shortcut! Missing the sour cream? It’s not needed BUT if you feel like you need something to replace it use greek yogurt. Add some lime zest and lime juice to the yogurt for an extra pop of flavor. Enjoy.
Basic Roast Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Place rack in middle of oven. Remove neck and giblets from cavity of chicken and discard. Drizzle chicken with oil and rub over skin. Sprinkle chicken inside and out with pepper and salt. Place lemon slices and fresh herbs inside cavity. Place chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan, oven safe-large frying pan or large cast iron skillet. If desired, tie drumsticks together with 100% cotton kitchen string.
- Roast chicken uncovered, 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degree F. Roast 50-60 minutes more or until juices run clear and a thermometer inserted into inner thigh (do not let thermometer touch the bone) registers 165 degrees F.
- Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Serves 6 to 8.
Loaded BBQ Chicken Nachos:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- For the sweet potato fries, in a large bowl combine sweet potatoes and the olive oil, toss to coast. Line two baking sheets with foil; brush foil with additional olive oil. Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Do no crowd slices. Bake 10 minutes. Turn on broiler, broil fries for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender and brown around the edges.
- Meanwhile, for the guacamole, halve and seed avocados; scoop out flesh and place in bowl. Stir in lime juice, shallot and garlic.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chicken and bbq sauce. Cover with vented place wrap and microwave 2 minutes or until chicken is hot, stirring once or twice.
- Top sweet potatoes with bbq chicken, guacamole, tomato, jalapeno, scallions and cilantro.
Recipes from Real Paleo: Fast and Easy Cookbook