1 pound of green beans, ends trimmed
2-3 slices thick cut bacon
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup coconut aminos
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Everyone can use a different green been recipe. I love plain steamed green beans. I also love roasting them. This however, is an excellent use of green beans. Wondering what coconut aminos are? It’s a healthier version of soy sauce. It’s made from coconut sap and can be used in place of soy sauce. Enjoy.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 10 minutes, until tender-crisp. Drain the beans and place them in a bowl of ice water to preserve their color.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool, then chop into small pieces.
- Leave 3 tbsp of bacon fat in the pan and reserve the rest for another use. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the coconut aminos to the pan with the onion. Cook over medium low heat until the mixture reduces and coats the back of the spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Add the green beans, toss and cook for 5 minutes, until warmed through.
- Pour the green bean mixture into a large bowl, add the almonds, bacon toss to combine.
Recipe from The Paleo Cookbook, serves 4