Making the most of the situation…
Are you crushing this quarantine thing? Good for you!
Enjoying all the extra time at home? Great, you deserve it!
Prefer zoom over in-person meetings anyway? That’s awesome!
Love home-schooling your kids? Keep up the great work!
But if not, that’s ok too! In fact, it’s more than OK and probably more normal than not, so don’t you dare beat yourself up about it, ever! This is not the time for guilt or shame. But it is a good time for acknowledgement and reflection. Whatever you’re feeling….sad, mad, stress, or just overwhelmed; it’s important to acknowledge your feelings because they are super valid. It’s also just as important to take some time to reflect on those feelings as well.
Having a particularly bad day, ask yourself ….
- What’s different about today?
- What exact thoughts and feelings am I having, and why? And, what can I do about it?
Jot it down in your phone, planner or journal, call up a friend and talk it out! Take the time to figure out how to address it and/or avoid it moving forward. I know, you already have so much on your mind and plate and don’t have time for anything else but this is important, because YOU ARE IMPORTANT! Now more than ever you need to make time to take care of yourself both physically and mentally.
After having a couple of sad days myself, here are some things that I’ve come to acknowledge along with what I call my ‘quarantine care tips’ to avoid having more bad days than good.
- The news is depressing and does not set me up for a successful or positive day.
*QUARANTINE CARE TIP! Don’t watch the news. Instead try reading news articles to stay informed about the things I need to know about.
- I crave social interaction with other adults. Texting with friends is not enough for me, I need to hear and see people.
*QUARANTINE CARE TIP! Make a point to video chat with someone every single day.
- I also NEED some alone/quiet time. I know, I know, I just said I crave social interaction…what can I say, I’m an extroverted introvert at it’s finest. 😊 Not to mention, I have two you young, crazy boys so my house is so loud. ALL. THE. TIME!
*QUARANTINE CARE TIP! Adult Coloring Books. Hey, don’t knock it till you’ve tried! It is crazy therapeutic and somehow allows me to drown out all of the noise. Which also makes this a WARNING if you do decide to take it up, lol. Can’t take your eyes and ears off those kids for too long!
- I love being busy! I love having a lot to do. In fact, the more I have on my plate the more productive I feel and the less I have to-do, the lazier I feel.
*QUARANTINE CARE TIP! Set some goals every day. They don’t have to be huge but they have to be there for me to-do and cross off my list as accomplished for the day.
- My workouts. Oh, how I cherish them! I want and need this time now more than ever and noticed that trying to do it around the kids was leaving me feeling more drained than energized. So,
*QUARANTINE CARE TIP! Prioritize this time over everything else. I re-arranged our home-school schedule just so that I can get in my workout before stressing over writing assignments and letter tracing. That may sound selfish to some, but in order for me to be strong for everyone else I need to show up for myself first.
I hope some of these tips resonated with you or at the least reminded you that we are all human and not at all perfect, and that’s perfectly ok!
I miss going to the studio. I miss seeing everyone; clients and co-coaches. I miss the conversations, the smiles, the laughs and the high-fives! But, I also feel super lucky to still be able to connect in some way, shape or form with everyone and if we haven’t connected recently, please reach out!
Got some QUARANTINE CARE TIPS you’d like to share? I’d love to hear it! Want to start prioritizing your workouts, check out our schedule of virtual classes online at www.boutiquefitness.com. We hope that you’re hanging in there and crushing this quarantine.
Studio Manager, Westport