- 2 medium fennel bulbs (fronds removed)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp seasoned or black pepper
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 10-12 dried apricots
- 8-10 dried figs, cut in half
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped (optional)
Have you tried fennel before? It has a licorice flavor but once it’s cooked long and slow the licorice flavor is toned down and it becomes sweet with a deep rich flavor. Enjoy!
- Cut each fennel bulb in half, length wise, and slice each half in 3 pieces. Season with salt and pepper on both sides
- In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil. Arrange fennel pieces (you can crowd the pan because fennel will shrink). Cook over medium heat, 5 minutes on each side. Add orange juice, wine, apricots and figs and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes
- Garnish with pistachios (if using).
Recipe from: https://mayihavethatrecipe.com/braised-fennel-apricots-figs/ Serves 6-8