- 1 pound spicy sausage
- 1 tbsp. EVOO
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and coarsely choped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth or veggie broth
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
Colder weather makes me feel like having soup all the time! The idea of sitting in front of a fire with a nice warm bowl of soup sounds wonderful. Fennel has a light licorice or anise flavor and it’s not overpowering. Enjoy!
- In a large, heavy pot, brown the sausage over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Drain off any fat in the skillet.
- Heat the olive oil in the same pot over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower, onion, celery, fennel, garlic salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits on the the bottom. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Carefully, transfer the soup to a blender, in batches if necessary and blend. You can also use an immersion blender and blend the soup in the pot instead. Return the soup to the pot and add the paprika. Just before serving stir in the spinach and sausage into the soup.
Recipe from Whole30 Fast and Easy Recipe book. Serves 4