- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 – 3/4 lemon, squeezed
- 1/4 cup (about 10) kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced (from 1 English)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
A perfect side dish for the grilled pesto chicken kebabs from last week or as a meal by itself. This can be enjoyed all summer long. Make this your own by adding some grilled veggies or goat cheese instead of feta. You can put it over some green or sauteed spinach. Don’t skip the first step. Rinsing the quinoa is important because it will help remove the bitter taste that quinoa has.
- Rinse quinoa for about 2 minutes.
- Fill a medium pot with water, add quinoa and salt to taste and bring to a boil. When the water boils, reduce heat to low and cover; simmer covered 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep covered an additional 5 minutes without lifting the lid; then fluff with a fork and set aside in a large mixing bowl to cool.
- While the quinoa cools, dice all the vegetables.
- Add the red onion, olives, cucumber, tomatoes to the cooled quinoa, and squeeze 1/2 lemon over it.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the quinoa, then add feta, salt and pepper to taste and toss well.
- Taste for salt and adjust as needed, add more lemon juice if needed.
Recipe from skinnytaste.com, serves 6