- 2 cups dates pitted (I used pitted Medjool dates)
- 1/2 cup almonds plus 15-16 extra almonds set aside for the filling
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup toasted unsweetened shredded coconut (feel free to use all one variety )
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
These make great back to school snacks. Simple, straight forward ingredients can make the best recipes. Enjoy.
In the bowl of a food processor, add almonds and pulse until they are finely chopped (be careful not to pulse too long or they will start to turn into a paste).
Add dates, coconut, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Continue to pulse the mixture for about 2-3 minutes (scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed) or until the mixture easily holds together and sticks to the bowl.
Using a measuring spoon, scoop out 1/2 tablespoon of mixture. Roll into a ball and flatten.
Place an almond in the middle.
Scoop another 1/2 tablespoon of the date mixture on top and roll into balls.
Roll the ball into the bowl of shredded coconut topping. Repeat with rest of mixture.
Store the energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe from: https://lifemadesweeter.com/stuffed-almond-joy-energy-bites/.