This one pot meal has been a weeknight staple in our house for years. The veggies can be altered to suit your family’s tastes, (we often swap out finely chopped broccoli for the kale). Upgrade with some fresh thyme, toasted pine nuts, fresh parmesan, or nutritional yeast flakes. Top each dish with a poached egg for an extra burst of yum!
- 1 package of Thin and Trim Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 1 1/4 c dried quinoa
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large heavy bottomed pot, sauté onion in coconut oil until translucent. Add sliced sausage and lightly brown.
2. Stir in stock. Be sure to scrape the bottom to deglaze pan. Add Chopped kale, quinoa, and thyme.
3. Bring to a boil on high heat, and then cover and turn down to low.
4. Allow it to cook (about 15 min) until all liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender but still chewy and white spiral-like threads have released from each grain (yes, that is supposed to happen). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!