- 3 medium carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 2 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges or 4 0r 5 slices
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick wedges
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 6 cups (or more) of vegetable broth
- 4 cups finely chopped kale
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed
1 Preheat oven to 400°F (reduce heat by 25°F if using convection oven). Brush rimmed baking sheet with a thin coat of olive oil. Arrange carrots, squash, tomatoes, onion, and garlic on sheet. Drizzle with more olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast vegetables until they are brown and tender, stirring occassionally, about 45 minutes.
2 Cut squash and carrots into 1/2 inch pieces; set aside. Peel garlic cloves; place in food processor. Add tomatoes and onion; puree until almost smooth. Pour 1/2 cup broth onto the baking sheet; scrape up any browned bits. Transfer broth and vegetable puree to large pot. Add 5 1/2 cups broth, kale, thyme and bay leaf to pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered until kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
3 Add carrots, beans, and squash to soup. Simmer 8 minutes to blend flavors, adding more broth to thin soup if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
Recipe is courtesy of http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/kale_and_roasted_vegetable_soup/