¼ cup reduced sodium (gluten-free) tamari*
1 (8-oz) can crushed pineapple
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, crushed pineapple, tomato paste, honey, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger and salt. Scoop ¼ cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Add the chicken to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the remaining sauce, turning the chicken to coat.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
- Uncover and shred the chicken with 2 forks. Add the remaining ¼ cup sauce, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired.
- Serve the chicken warm on buns, in bowls, or in lettuce wraps with Creamy Cabbage Slaw, if desired.
Recipe from: https://realfoodwholelife.com/recipes/slow-cooker-pulled-tropical-chicken/
Total time: 4 1/2-6 1/2 hrs.