- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 ripe banana, fresh or frozen
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, chilled or at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 3 to 5 ice cubes
- almond milk or coconut milk as needed to make it a smoothie consistency you like
- Optional: Protein powder and/or handful of spinach
Wake up with this smoothie. The coffee adds a refreshing twist to the smoothie.
Add all of the ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Serve right away.
TIP: Want to make a thicker chia seed pudding? Place any leftover smoothie in the fridge in a covered container and let it set for a few hours, or even overnight. Chia seeds absorb up to 10 times their weight in water, so they will take in any liquid and form a gel-like, pudding consistency that you can serve like an acai bowl. Top with more berries, nonfat yogurt or unsweetened coconut and enjoy!
Recipe from Today.com serves 2