3 tsp melted ghee
10 ounces canned albacore tuna packed in water, drained
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 1/3 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
1/2 lemon finely zested (reserve the lemon for serving)
1 jalapeño minced
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
Spicy Tuna Cakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 muffin tin with 1 tsp of the melted ghee
2. In a large bowl, mix together all remaining ingredients. Gently stir until well combined. You may want to get your hands in there to make sure everything gets mixed together evenly.
3. Scoop a 1/4 cup of the mixture into each of the muffin tin cups. Flatten the top of each with the back of a spoon.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the tin to cool.
5. Serve immediately with a fresh wedge of lemon. They store fabulously in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat well. They should save for about 4 days, although mine didn’t last that long;) Yum!!!
Fish, particularly fatty fish, is a uniquely healthy food. It is rich in two omega-3 fatty acids, DHA and EPA, which are notably missing in the western diet. Omega-3′s are heart-healthy; they lower blood pressure, and reduce the risk of sudden death from heart attacks. In addition, omega-3′s fight inflammation and encourage optimal brain function, decreasing the risk of depression, Alzheimer’s’s and dementia.
I was once advised from a nutrition coach to, “eat as much fish as I could afford!” Although fresh wild-cauught salmon fillets and oysters on the half shell are splurge worthy, they don’t fit in my daily food budget. Enter the less glamorous (and much less pricy) little guys. Canned sardines, herring and light (smaller) tuna may be even more nutritious. They come with some of the highest levels of omega-3′s and much less environmental contamination (mercury, etc.) then the bigger predatory species. Check out Bar Harbor smoked herring and sardine products for a tasty line.
Transform a basic pantry staple like canned tuna into the perfect on-the-go eat with these delicious spicy tuna cakes from nomnompaleo. They have become my lunch obsession of the week!!! Enjoy!