- 1 pound of lean ground beef, ground turkey or your favorite sausage (removed from casing and crumbled)
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, shredded on a cheese grater (into cauliflower “rice”)
- 5 bell peppers
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the top off bell peppers and remove seeds.
2. Brown meat and set aside.
3. Heat olive oil and add onions, garlic and cauliflower “rice.” Saute until soft. Add spices, tomato paste and meat to the cauliflower mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Stuff peppers with this filling and arrange in a glass baking dish. Add 1/2 inch of water to the bottom of the baking dish. Cover and cook for 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.These peppers make a delicious family meal. If you are cooking for one, pack leftovers for lunch all week:) Enjoy!
Red, orange, yellow and even purple- bell peppers are sold in a rainbow of hues. They are beautiful, delicious and loaded with quality nutrition.
- Red bell pepper has three times as much vitamin C as an orange, for only 43 calories (per whole pepper).
- Bell pepper are packed with carotenoids, powerful antioxidants that protect our skin from sun damage, boost immunity and fight disease.
- Available year-round, look for rich color and firm texture when purchasing.
- Because we eat the skin, organic is best. Conventionally grown bell peppers appear on the ewg.org “dirty dozen” list, demonstrating high pesticide residue.