Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 raw sweet potato, grated
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus additional to grease baking dish
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1. Combine all the taco seasoning ingredients in a small bowl – set aside
2. Brown meat in a large fry pan. Set aside.
3. In that same fry pan heat coconut oil. Sauté veggies (onion, pepper and zucchini) until tender. Add the meat back to the veggie mixture.
4. Add 2 Tablespoons of the taco seasoning and tomato sauce to the pan. Simmer together until flavors are well combined (about 5 min.)
5. Peel and grate sweet potato. Whisk the egg. Mix egg and sweet potato together.
6. Grease a square 8X8 casserole dish or round pie dish with coconut oil. Press the sweet potato and egg into the bottom of the dish and up the sides, creating a crust. It looks a lot like a bird’s nest;)
7. Spoon the meat and veggie mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.
8. Serve with sliced avocado, chopped fresh tomato and cilantro (or whatever toppings you like best!)
Tip: This recipe works with whatever veggies you like or happen to have on hand. Some of my other favorite are mushrooms, garlic and spinach. Mince all veggies very small so that picky eaters won’t notice them. A food processor does a fantastic job.
Creating healthy meals that the whole family enjoys can be quite a challenge. Taco casserole is a huge hit at my house. We usually make a double batch, so their are plenty of leftovers:)