Skip to content
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 3 pounds extra lean ground turkey
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 (28ounce) cans of crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 fresh jalapenos, deseeded and chopped
- 3 cans of your favorite beans (I use pinto), drained and rinsed
- Sea salt to taste (I use 4 tsp)
- Lots of fresh cilantro and pickled banana peppers for serving
- Heat a heavy bottomed 5 quart pot over medium heat. Add bacon; cook until crisp and brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Raise heat to high; add turkey. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, and jalapenos; cook until soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in spices, cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Pour in tomatoes, brown sugar, 1 cup water, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook, partially covered, 30 minutes.
- Add beans; continue cooking, uncovered, until meat and beans are very tender, and chili is thick, about 30 minutes more. Serve with desired toppings.