- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and extra for brushing
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small eggplant, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, warm
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup veg broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush 8 inch square pan with olive oil
2. Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet and saute onion and eggplant until soft and lightly brown. If the veggies stick, add a little water to the pan. Stir in garlic and let cook 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and add beans, brown rice, tomato, bread crumbs, veg broth, salt, pepper and basil. Mix and mash the mixture with a large spoon until it holds together. Adjust seasoning.
3. Transfer into prepared pan and pack down firmly. Mix tomato and brown sugar in a small bowl. Pour the sauce over the loaf. Cover with aluminum foil.
4. Bake covered for 40 min. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 min. Remove it from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 min. before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe is courtesy of Chloe Coscarelli of Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen
Yields 4 Servings
True comfort foods don’t need to be heavy or unhealthy. This delicious vegan loaf is packed with the rich savory flavors that you expect from Italian meatloaf, but the combination of eggplant, tomatoes and beans keep it light and fresh. Pair this with our favorite Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mash for the perfect winter meal.