- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 1/2 pound broccoli (florets cut into 1 inch pieces and stalk peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick pieces)
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange (use 1 tsp grated orange zest and 3 tablespoons of juice)
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring about 3 quarts of water to boil.
2. Remove 1/2 cup boiling water and pour over cherries in a small bowl. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain.
3. Add broccoli to remaining boiling water. Cook until just slightly tender, about one minute. Immediately transfer broccoli to and an ice bath. Chill for 5 minutes. Drain broccoli and dry in a salad spinner or spread out on paper towels.
4. Combine avocado, oil, vinegar, garlic, orange juice, orange zest, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
5. Add broccoli, soaked cherries, nuts, shallots and parsley. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.