- 1- 29 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 32 ounces of veg stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- avocado and fresh cilantro for serving (optional)
Heat oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium low heat. Add onion and soften (10 minutes). Add garlic and cook for about 2 min. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add beans, stock, and potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add quinoa and continue cooking , stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chili has thickened (15-30 min). Add water or more stock if it becomes too thick for your liking. Top with avocado and cilantro. Makes 6 hearty bowls. Enjoy!
Thank you Kate B. for the tip!!!